Traveling for a week in December to Turks and Caicos is a tradition for Danielle Gomberg and her family. They love escaping the Alabama cold and visiting this island together.
“We eat fish tacos daily for lunch when we are there,” said Danielle. So, it’s no surprise that this is the meal she chose to share with us for this month’s Dinner’s Ready recipe.
Danielle resides in Auburn, AL, with her husband, Scott, and their 15-year-old son Jordan. The family enjoys eating at home and makes it a priority.
“We have family dinners every night,” shared Danielle. “This is where we share our highs and lows of the day.”
Scott does most of the cooking in the Gomberg household and loves to grill or use his smoker on the weekends. However, the family does go out to eat after church on Sundays.
“We go eat Mexican because I love chips and salsa,” Danielle shared.
Danielle has been a physical therapist for Prime Home Health for the past ten years. She went on to share that her work family is like extended family because it’s a locally-owned company.
Scott is the Vice President of the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail in Alabama. As a PGA Professional, he couldn’t have found a more fitting profession. In addition, the family all enjoy golfing together.
Their son Jordan loves to work out and enjoys being part of the Auburn Skeet Shooting team. He is also learning to drive.
“I love serving and helping others,” said Danielle. She spends plenty of time serving on the community and outreach team at her church. She continued, “I find the most joy in serving others. I serve on a medical missions team and travel at least once a year to the Dominican or Honduras.”
For fun, Danielle loves to work out at Roar, a new gym in Auburn. Scott and Jordan enjoy deer hunting together. In addition, the family has a Golden Retriever named Morgan that they love to take on walks.
The Gombergs hope you enjoy this recipe that takes them back to the island life every time they make it.
Favorite Fish Tacos
• 1 lb. Fresh Halibut or another flaky white fish, cut into 3” x 1/2” pieces
• 2 Eggs beaten, for a white wash
• 1 cup Pablo bread crumbs
• Oil, for frying
For the slaw:
• 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
• 1 cup Napa cabbage, shredded
• 2 small radishes, julienned
•1/2 cup carrots, shredded
• 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
• 1/2 cup BRIANNAS Cilantro Lime Dressing
For the sauce:
• 1 cup sour cream
• 1/2 cup BRIANNAS Champagne Vinaigrette Dressing
For the Garnish:
• 1 grilled corn off the cob
• Mini grilled bell peppers, sliced
• 1 lime, cut into quarters
• Cotija cheese
• Corn or flour tortillas
- Prepare the slaw by mixing red cabbage, Napa cabbage, radishes, carrots, and cilantro. Add BRIANNAS Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing 30 minutes before serving.
- Prepare the sauce by mixing sour cream and BRIANNAS Champagne Vinaigrette Dressing in a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat oil or lard over medium heat. Make sure you have enough oil to cover halfway up the side of each piece of fish.
- Dredge fish in corn starch, dip in egg wash, coat in panko, and set aside until all fish is coated.
- Add the fish to the oil, careful not to overcrowd the pan. Cook both sides until golden brown, remove, and immediately salt.
- Grill or pan fry tortillas.
To assemble, place the appropriate amount of fish in taco. Top with slaw, grilled peppers, cotija cheese, and sauce. Garnish with lime wedges. Enjoy!